Chile Rellano’s are my absolute favorite and I miss eating them at my favorite mexican restaurants. Last year when we were in San Diego we had bomb Chile Relleno tacos. Ive been wanting to recreate them, but was inspired to make these taquitos instead. They can be filled with any leftover veggies you have, and loaded with gooey queso fresco. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did. If you make these please tag my food account:theglobalbelly on Instagram!
Ingredients for the Taquitos:
6 small tortillas
3 poblano peppers
1 red onion sliced
2 jalapeño sliced
1.5 tablespoon minced garlic
1 bell pepper sliced (optional)
Half can of drained black beans
1.5 teaspoon Taco seasoning (adjust per taste)
1 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper (optional)
.5 teaspoon red chili pepper
Queso Freco Cheese (kind of like mozzarella)
Shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
1. Start oven on your highest broil setting. Mine is 525.
2. Place Poblano Peppers in oven for a total of 15 minutes. Flip them over half way. If they aren’t black or charred all over keep them until in the oven until they are. Once they are done, place them in a bowl and cover it up with plastic wrap to let them sweat for 8-10 minutes. (This helps peel off the skin easier)
3. While those are cooking, heat your skillet on medium heat with oil. Once oil is hot, add onions, and jalapenos. Let those sauté until soft.
4. Add bell peppers. Cook until soft.
5. Add all your seasonings, and mix well. If vegetables become too soft lower heat.
6. Add black beans and stir.
1. Once everything is done, prepare your poblano peppers. Peel off the blackened skin be careful not to rip the pepper!
2. Cut a slit right in the middle and remove seeds. Cut the poblano pepper in half. Repeat this step for the remaining poblano peppers.
3. Brush a little bit of oil on your flour tortilla
4. Place half of the poblano pepper on the tortilla and add a spoonful of filling, and cheese. Carefully roll the Taquitos and poblano pepper so nothing slips out.
5. Once Taquitos are assembled, brush with oil and place in air fryer.
6. Air fryer timings/temp may vary based on what you have. I do mine on 370 for 8 minutes. Flip in between. You can cook them longer if they don’t look brown and crispy enough!
Cilantro Jalapeño Sauce:
1 bunch of cilantro
2 Serrano peppers
1/2 cup of Greek yogurt or sour cream
4 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of cumin powder. Do not use seeds unless your putting this in a blender
Lime Juice per taste
Salt & Pepper per taste
**Adjust any of these measurements per your liking. **