Baking. Cooking. All things food! It’s what’s getting a lot of us through quarantine. No better time to try all those recipes you’ve saved on Pinterest. Presented to you: savory scones! The great thing about scones is you can add whatever you have on hand into the batter. For these: chopped ham, scallions, and cheddar cheese were available in the fridge, so that’s what got added. Feeling more pulled to the sweets side? Try berries with a simple glaze. Or throw in some chocolate chips that you have in the back of your pantry.
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-2 TB sugar
-1 tsp salt
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/2 cup buttermilk
-1 stick butter, frozen
1) Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder & soda in a large bowl. Chill while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
2) Beat the buttermilk and egg together. Set aside.
3) Grate the frozen butter with a box grater. Add the grated butter to the dry ingredients, & using your fingers, work in the butter until the mixture comes together into crumbs.
4) Add the wet ingredients. Stir with a fork.
5) Here is where you add the “extras” that you have on hand (cheese, herbs, protein, fruit, etc.) Stir & combine
6) Gather the dough with your hands & knead just until combined.Turn the dough out onto a floured board & pat into a rectangle. Fold the dough in half. Turn & pat into a rectangle again. Fold in half again.
7) Pat or roll dough into an 8-inch circle and cut into 8 wedges.
8) Place the wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper & chill scones for at least 15 minutes.
9) Bake for 20 minutes at 425 degrees.
10) Once out of the oven brush with cream or butter if savory, or top with homemade glaze.